Endowments and Funds
The Porter Fund
The Ralph and Frances Porter Fund provides financial assistance to uninsured Denison residents in need of support with hospital payments or primary care services.
Ralph and Frances Porter
Mr. Porter moved to Denison in 1931 to begin his career at the State National Bank where he later retired as C.E.O. and Board Chairman 46 years later. He married Miss Frances Booth of Dallas in 1946 after serving our Country between 1943-1945 through the U S Coast Guard during World War II.
In 1954 Ralph and Frances adopted Tom and Kenneth, biological brothers.
Throughout his career, he remained active in the community, serving on numerous civic and business organizations including the Denison Chamber of Commerce, Boy Scouts of America, Camp Fire Girls, Red Cross, Texas Bankers Association and the Federal Reserve Board of Directors. He also served as a Denison City Council Member and was elected as the Mayor of Denison on two occasions.
In 1961 he was appointed by the City Council to serve on the Hospital Founding Committee and was appointed as Chairman of the Denison Hospital Authority in 1962. He continued to volunteer his time as a Board Trustee to the DHA and subsequent Texoma Medical Center Board Trustee through 1997.
Also community-minded, Frances B. Porter was very active in their church, First Presbyterian, and taught ladies’ Bible study class every week for over 20 years. She was also active with Mr. Porter in all of their civic activities and served in the Denison Service League beginning in the early 1960’s.
With the formation of the new Denison Hospital, Frances became very involved with the founding of the TMC Hospital Auxiliary and served as a volunteer until the early 1980’s.
Both Ralph and Frances supported Reba McEntire’s many concerts and contributed a significant gift to the Reba’s Ranch House in 2000 to support its ongoing operations.